Saturday, October 26, 2013

My life is in a fish bowl

My life will never be the same after this week.  I am at that point in my life when my children are ceasing to be children and are becoming adults.  I am having to sit back and learn a new roll.  I have spent 19 years being a "mom" first and foremost every day of my life.  I've prepared meals, changed diapers, cleaned house and washed clothes.  I've played cars, built sand castles, gone on imaginary trips, made swords and forts and play doh.  I've been to little league, rocket football, boy scouts and any number of holiday parties at school.  Now my little boys have both reached major milestones in their lives this week.  My oldest enlisted into the US Marine Corps.  My youngest played his last game of football after 10 years.  I am learning the new roll of "mom".  This week I have learned that no matter what, I will always be their mom and they will need me.  It's the type of need that changes.  They don't need me to prepare their meals anymore or do their laundry.  They need me to be their rock and soft place to land.  They are both great young men and I am proud to be their mom!
Photo: Last game.As my week has progressed I have found myself in a fish bowl.  Everyone is watching me.  Waiting for the mommy melt down.  My friends and family have been so kind in checking in with me to see if I'm ok with these changes and passages into their new phases of life.  But...I feel like I'm a fish in a bowl with the world watching and waiting for something that I haven't been able to put into words.  It is going to be a new adventure every day.  Next year my youngest goes off to college and the oldest will be off with the Marines.  I have to learn a whole new me.
One day at a time until I master this new role.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry they still need you just as much, and they still need you to do laundry and make them food when they come home. Some things never change :) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete