Wednesday, September 11, 2013

I can tell fall is in the air.  My allergies are acting up.  All the veggies in the garden are getting ripe at the same time.  Our apple trees are getting heavy with apples waiting to become pie.  My crafting itch is active and needs scratching.  I did sooth it a little over the weekend and made a new wreath for the front of the house. 
Best of all it's football season!  Yes, I am a football mom.  My youngest is a senior in high school and plays football.  I love high school and college football.  Nothing says fall like a good football game in small town USA.  We live in a small town where main street is just that, it's our main street in town.  We have a grain elevator that flies the American flag from the top, an auto body shop, bar, restaurant, bank, church, cemetery, elementary, middle and high schools.  We have corn fields surrounding the town.  You know the town.  You might even live in the same town down the road.  We rush home from work, put on our team wear, grab dinner and head to the tailgate.  At the tailgate we wait with all the other family's and friends for our local celebrities/heroes to walk the path to the field.  Coach leads the boys who walk hand in hand, united down the path.  Everyone cheers, ring their cowbells and wishes encouragement as the boys march by.  The bagpipers join in and play for the boys, honoring them with their music.   Once they've passed it's time for us to follow and find our seats.  Soon the game will start.  Family and friends file into the stadium and we wait again for these young men who are our stars to take the field.  The time draws nearer and you can feel it in the air, the excitement, the anticipation of the arrival of our boys.  You know they're coming because the music plays over the loud speaker, "Thunderstruck" by ACDC and then all of a sudden they rush onto the field breaking through the banner that the cheerleaders made for them and our town cheers welcoming them to another game and another Friday night in small town USA.  This is fall in my home town!






2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great small town. I love the grain elevator. I loved photographing them on our trip out to Montana as we traveled through lots of small towns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're here Sarah, I've read some of your blogs. I enjoy them very much.
      I enjoyed the grain elevators when we went out west this summer too. There is something very peaceful about it. I also enjoy barns especially those that I've seen down south, TN, area.

      Delete